Annual 20 Mile East Grand Adventure Race
Saturday, May 10, 2014, Danforth, Maine, 8AM- 4PM, Teen & Adult Divisions, Relay Teams welcome in the open division. Next Race, May 9, 2015
Over $1,000.00 in Youth Prizes!
2014 Results Listed Below
Course Changes Yearly, is about 20 miles, includes an off trail compass run approx. 1 mile, 10 miles of mountain biking on woods roads and trails, 7 miles of canoeing/kayaking and challenges along the way which may or may not include *RIVER TRAVERSE, TOUGH MUDDER CRAWL, TOMAHAWK THROWING, *LOG ROLLING), TWO PERSON CROSSCUT SAWING and possibly other or different challenges along the way. Challenges along the race course are optional and can earn minutes off your overall course time. *We'll skip these challenges/obsticles if the water is too high or air temps too low on race day.
Divisions: High School: Boys, Girls, Mixed, Adult: Men, Women, Mixed, Other: Jr./Sr., Open (Jr./Sr. minimum age is 13 and must compete with an adult). Open division can be solo, kayakers, race boats, relay team.....a relay team can be any number of people splitting up the different legs of the race anyway they want. Example, with a team of four one can do the compass run, one can bike and two can canoe or two run, one bike and one kayak or whatever you come up with.
33 Mile Flat Water Race: In 2013 we added a 33 mile canoe/kayak race from the headwaters of the Baskahegan Stream to Bancroft. This runs in conjunction of the Adventure Race as a paddle only option. (min age is 16 unless accompanied by an adult).Pre-Registration required, checkin 7:30AM at East Grand School in Danforth, contact Dave Conley, Phone 207-551-8729, Email firstname.lastname@example.org Forms available to download at the bottom of the page.
Adventure Race Sign Up is by Pre-Registration and limited to the first 100 participants: Entry fee is $20.00 per person which includes lunch, adventure race t-shirt, and attractive trophies to the top three finishing teams in each division. Please make checks payable to East Grand School.
Scroll Down to the Bottom of the Page to Download Forms : Be sure to scroll down and download Registration, Race Details Page and Release/Waiver Forms. Your completed forms and payment will need to be in by Friday, May 9th.
Registration the day of the Race is $30.00 per person
Mail completed forms and checks to:
East Grand Adventure Race
31 Houlton Road
Danforth, ME 04424
Checks are payable to East Grand School Adventure Race
Adventure Race Day Schedule: 7:30-8:30check in at the East Grand School Gym. Leave your boats on your vehicles upon arrival, enter the gym to checki n, turn in any incomplete paperwork, (signed waivers & registration forms) and receive your racing map and bib number. Next, drive to the boating landing (1/3 mile from the school) and drop off your numbered boat (left and right front). Be sure to place your paddles, life jackets and an extra bag with a layer and outer shell/rain coat for the paddling portion (especially if it is a cold/rainy day) Upon returning to the school, number and load your bikes and any loose gear needed at checkpoints (numbered) onto the appropriate vehicles & trailers in front of the school. Pre race meeting is 8:45AM, load buses for the starting line at 9AM. After the outdoor course is completed, race participants and canoes/kayaks are shuttled (ongoing shuttle) back to the school's gym for lunch and awards. Showers are available in the gym. We are aiming to done by 4PM
Safety and organization: Danforth Fire Department, Dirigo Search and Rescue of Old Town, Downeast Ambulance, and 50+ local volunteers will be assisting with the race.
$1,050.00 in Prizes with $300.00 to the top three finishing pairs in the High School Divisions
1st Two $75.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor
2nd Two $50.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor
3rd Two $25.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor
In an effort to encourage youth to take part, prizes in the form of gift certificates to Ski Rack Sports in Bangor will awarded to high school students including the Jr. entries in the Jr./Sr. division. A traveling trophy will be presented to the winning high school boys and girls team to keep at their school for the year.
Level of difficulty: While the race will be physically challenging. It is not beyond the reach of those who are in reasonably good physical condition. We highly recommend a routine of training, well before the race that includes biking, jogging/running and canoeing. There will be a mandatory five minute break between each element to take a short break, eat a snack, and take a drink before heading out on the next leg of the race. Drinks and snacks provided at checkpoints.
Breakfast: Eat a good breakfast prior to arriving at East Grand. (The Millyard Cafe serves breakfast and is located 1/3 of a mile north of the school. Rt. 1 on the left).
Racing Numbers: Each team will be issued a number to place on the right front of your canoe, on loose gear needed at transitions points such as paddles, life jackets and extra clothing and to pin on outer clothing for the compass run and mountain biking legs of the race.
Racing Order: 1 mile compass run, 10 miles off road mountain biking on woods roads, trails, obstacles, and 7 miles of mostly flat water with some riffles and class I canoeing.
Equipment & Clothing
Bikes: Mountain bike (any style of mountain bike is fine), Helmets required.
Canoes: Recreation canoes-16% at the 4" waterline, min. weight-6LBs plus 3LBs per ft. of length. These canoe are usually made of ABS, Royalex, and Polyethylene materials. Example, Old Town Discovery Series 169 and 174, Penobscot Series 17 & 18.5). Race boats are permitted in the open division. Two proper fitting type III PFDs and these must be worn during the race. At least three paddles (one being a spare.), baler. Optional: a farmer john style wet suit in case of cold, rainy weather or if a canoe upsets.
Map: You will be given a waterproof map with starting and ending points (A to B) for the compass run. You will need to take into account for declination (see PDF of map and compass basics below). The bike and canoe routes are clearly marked on the map. The bike route is marked by yellow direction of travel signs.
Compass: You will need a basic compass with lanyard that includes a base plate with direction of travel arrow. Know how to use your compass with a map! While point A to B is given for the compass run. It is your responsibility to become familiar with how to align a map taking into account for declination and following a bearing. Be sure to download 'How to use your map & compass' below.
Clothing: Racers should have proper clothing and footwear. Clothing should be of synthetic materials (fleece & Polypropylene) used with an outer shell such as a wind breaker. You may want to place a spare set of clothing in your canoe in a waterproof bag to change into in the event of an upset canoe and or a cold/rainy day.
Need to rent equipment? Contact Dave well in advance to check on availability. Gear for rent: 169 Old Town Discovery Canoes: $20.00, Life Jackets $5.00, straight shaft aluminum/plastic paddles $3.00 or $30.00 for canoe, two life jackets and three paddles. Note: East Grand will not have extra Mountain bikes to rent out.
Staying overnight: If you are coming a long distance and prefer to come the night before. Options range from pitching a tent on East Grand Lake, to lodging in the area.
http://firstsettlerslodge.com/ (breakfast served)
Showers Available in the gym: You may want to take a shower after completing the outdoor course.
Directions To East Grand High School: When coming from central and southern Maine, take 95 north to exit 227. In Lincoln, take a left onto Rt. 6. Follow Rt. 6 through town and east to Springfield. In Springfield, take a left onto Rt. 169, bear right twice over the next 20+ miles for Danforth. In Danforth, cross over the train tracks go up over the hill and take a left onto Rt. 1 north, the school is on the right. From the Houlton area and points north, take Rt. 1 South to Danforth, the school is on the left. From Down East Maine, take Rt. 1 north, Rt. 1 makes a right turn in Danforth, turn right and the school is on the right.
Questions? If you need more information, please contact Dave Conley, Home Tel. 207-448-2743, Cell 207-551-8729 Email: email@example.com
Sponsored in part by First Wind, Ski Rack Sports of Bangor, Woodie Wheaton Land Trust
2014 East Grand Adventure Race
1. Calum Hamilton & Hanna Renedo, Orono 2:35:01;
2. Logan Crone, Danforth & Andy VanEss, Herman 2:44:20;
3. Eli Pnagborn, Easton & Grant Erikson, Scituate MA 2:50:10;
4.Malcolm & Henry Milligan, Ashland 2:53:30;
5. Ben Allan-Rahill Orono & Nah Allan-Rahill, Orono 2:54:52;
6. Kenan Estes, Sidney & Bo Willoughby, Winslow 3:03:05;
7. Sarah Whitty Bangor& Dale Hart, Bangor 3:06:28;
8. Lowel Ruck, Orono & Stanley P. Levitsky, Orono 3:12:29;
9. James Roche, wells & John Paul Argnetni, Watertown, MA, 3:15:22;
10. Sammi Nadeau, Orono & Kaily Schmidt, Orono, 3:17:47;
11. Kyle Ritchie & Kyle Arsic, Oromocto, NB 3:22:51;
12. Chelsea Winiraski, Forest Twp. & Kim Stoddard, Danforth, 3:28:05;
13. Phil Ruck Orono & Stanley M. Levitsky, Orono, 3:34:20;
14. Lee Kays & Emanuel Boss, Orono 3:35:29;
15. Fiona & Gordon Hamilton, Orono, 3:38:58;
16. Cole Harriman, Topsfield & Nathan Gilman Forest Twp. 3:47:54;
17. Kate Fergusson, Orono & Emile Seavey, Orono, 3:50:10;
18. Alec Downs, Brookton & Jake Davis, Danforth, 3:51:03;
19. Thomas Beckum & Dylan Paddleford, Caribou, 3:58:57;
20. Aaron Sixberry & Peter Apgar, Danforth, 3:59:19;
21. Philip Farley, Brookton 4:02:08;
22. Eric & Thomas Gilman, Danforth, 4:07:22;
23. Josh Jones, Weston & Ben Humphery, Pownal, 4:08:32;
24. Mike Roche, Saco & Scott Osgood, Portsmouth, NH, 4:15:14;
25. Meg Pandiscio & Annika Gallandt, Orono, 4:19:55;
26. Bob & Karoline Bass, Orono, 4:25:07;
27. Chris Woodside, Calais & Kristi Allen, Saco, 4:26:47;
28. Sarah Stoddard & Alec King, Danforth, 4:27:06;
29. Alan, Irja & Ada Hepler, Orono, 4:28:00;
30. Mimi Killinger & Eric Pandiscio, Orono, 4:28:09;
31. Helen Liu & Laura Kurys, Oromocto, NB 4:47:29;
32. Lisa Gallandt & Ellen Mallory, Orono, 4:52:59;
33. Austin St. Pierrie, Weston, & Billy Apgar, Danforth, 5:39:26;
34. Leo & Elise Kenney, Orono, DNF
35. Antony Beswick, Oromocto, NB DNF
By Divison 2014
1. Logan Crone, Danforth & Andy VanEss, Herman 2:44:20
2. James Roche, Wells & John Paul Argnetni, Watertown, MA, 3:15:22
3. Kyle Ritchie & Kyle Arsic, Oromocto, NB 3:22:51;
4. Phil Ruck Orono & Stanley M. Levitsky, Orono, 3:34:20
5. Mike Roche, Saco & Scott Osgood, Portsmouth, NH, 4:15:14
1. Sarah Whitty Bangor& Dale Hart, Bangor 3:06:28
2. Lee Kays & Emanuel Boss, Orono 3:35:29
3. Fiona & Gordon Hamilton, Orono, 3:38:58
4. Chris Woodside, Calais & Kristi Allen, Saco, 4:26:47
5. Mimi Killinger & Eric Pandiscio, Orono, 4:28:09
High School Boys
1. Eli Pangborn, Easton & Grant Erikson, Scituate MA 2:50:10
2. Ben Allan-Rahill Orono & Nah Allan-Rahill, Orono 2:54:52
3. Lowel Ruck, Orono & Stanley P. Levitsky, Orono 3:12:29
4. Cole Harriman, Topsfield & Nathan Gilman Forest Twp. 3:47:54
5. Alec Downs, Brookton & Jake Davis, Danforth, 3:51:03
6. Aaron Sixberry & Peter Apgar, Danforth, 3:59:19
7. Josh Jones, Weston & Ben Humphery, Pownal, 4:08:32
High School Girls
1. Sammi Nadeau, Orono & Kaily Schmidt, Orono, 3:17:47
2. Chelsea Winiraski, Forest Twp. & Kim Stoddard, Danforth, 3:28:05
3. Kate Fergusson, Orono & Emile Seavey, Orono, 3:50:10
4. Meg Pandiscio & Annika Gallandt, Orono, 4:19:55
High School Mixed
1. Calum Hamilton & Hanna Renedo, Orono 2:35:01
2. Sarah Stoddard & Alec King, Danforth, 4:27:06
1.Malcolm & Henry Milligan, Ashland 2:53:30
2. Kenan Estes, Sidney & Bo Willoughby, Winslow 3:03:05
3.Thomas Beckum & Dylan Paddleford, Caribou, 3:58:57
4. Eric & Thomas Gilman, Danforth, 4:07:22
5. Bob & Karoline Bass, Orono, 4:25:07
6. Lisa Gallandt & Ellen Mallory, Orono, 4:52:59
1. Philip Farley, Brookton 4:02:08
2. Alan, Irja & Ada Hepler, Orono, 4:28:00
3. Helen Liu & Laura Kurys, Oromocto, NB 4:47:29
4.Austin St. Pierrie, Weston, & Billy Apgar, Danforth, 5:39:26
Leo & Elise Kenney, Orono
Antony Beswick, Oromocto, NB
Adventure Race 2014 on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/94885301
2013 East Grand Adventure Race
1, Yuvall Boss & Calum Hamilton 2:25.6; 2, Henry & Malcolm Milligan 2:39.14; 3, Dana Morrision & Philip Farley 2:43.34; 4, Logan Crone & Andrew VanEss 2:49.51; 5, David, Billy, Peter & Susan Apgar 2:53.42; 6, Eric & Thomas Gilman 2:56.36; 7, Xiao Quan & Ethan Hall 2:57.06; 8,Tom Puzewski & Chris Farley 3:08.20; 9,Tammi Matula & Sarah Stoddard 3:09.06; 10, Samantha Nadeau & Kailey Schmidt 3:10.22; 11, Lauren Jacobs 3:10.04; 12, Joesph Desiston & Hanna Renedo 3:16.11; 13, Gordan Hamilton & Kristen Campbell 3:25.24; 14, Peter & Josh Jones 3:18.04; 15, Fiona & Martin Hamilton 3:34.52; 16, Mitchell Bartlett & Ashley Grenier 3:39.42; 17, Gage Caissie 3:43.05; 18, Stanley P. & Stanley M. Levitsky 3:46.30; 19, Emmanuel, Tom, Itai Boss 3:51.25; 20, Nathan Gilman & Cole Harriman 3: 52.10; 21, Nick Chambers & Joe Frazer 3:53.50; 22, Emilie Seavey & Kate Fegusson 3:54.54; 23,Melonie Druan, Adreanna Philips, Bayleigh Rowe 3:55.10; 24, Chelsea & Kenneth Winiarski, Allie McEwen, Angel Stoddard, Elizabeth Hood, Kim Stoddard, 4:00.15; 25, Annika Gallandt & Emily Noyes 4:03.44
Mens: Logan Crone & Andrew VanEss 2:49.51; Tom Puzewski & Chris Farley 3:08.20; Nick Chambers & Joe Frazer 3:53.50;
Adults Mixed: Joesph Desiston & Hanna Renedo 3:16.11; Gordan Hamilton & Kristen Campbell 3:25.24; Fiona & Martin Hamilton 3:34.52; Mitchell Bartlett & Ashley Grenier 3:39.42;
HS Boys: Yuvall Boss & Calum Hamilton 2:25.6; Xiao Quan & Ethan Hall 2:57.06; Gage Caissie 3:43.05; Nathan Gilman & Cole Harriman 3: 52.10;
HS Girls: Samantha Nadeau & Kailey Schmidt 3:10.22; Emilie Seavey & Kate Fegusson 3:54.54; Annika Gallandt & Emily Noyes 4:03.44
Jr/Sr: Henry & Malcolm Milligan 2:39.14; 3, Dana Morrision & Philip Farley 2:43.34; Eric & Thomas Gilman 2:56.36; Tammi Matula & Sarah Stoddard 3:09.06; Stanley P. & Stanley M. Levitsky 3:46.30; Peter & Josh Jones 3:18.04; Emmanuel, Tom, Itai Boss 3:51.25;
Open: David, Billy, Peter & Susan Apgar 2:53.42; Lauren Jacobs 3:10.04; Melonie Druan, Adreanna Philips, Bayleigh Rowe 3:55.10; Chelsea & Kenneth Winiarski, Allie McEwen, Angel Stoddard, Elizabeth Hood, Kim Stoddard, 4:00.15;
Baskahegan Stream 33 Mile Canoe Race (Shortened to 21 Miles due to wind on Baskahegan Lake)
Overall Results (2013)
1, Bruce Weil 3:2.35; 2, Robert Hessler & Ander Thebaud 4:01.52; 3, Chip Loring & Terry Wescott 4:02.25; 4, Dan Baumert 4:07.03; 5, Justin Wardwell & Mark Ranco 4:09.02; 6, John Carter 4:09.037; 7, Eric Gallandt & Ellen Mallory 4:36; 8, Larry Merrill 4:32.30; Steven & Justin Rice DNF
In The News:
2011 Adventure Race Coverage by WAGM TV 8 News: http://wagmtv.com/newssource8/story/2011-05-18-adventure-race
2010 Bill Green's Maine Outdoor Show: http://www.wlbz2.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=87747256001
2010 Maine Sunday Telegram featured story on the event: http://www.pressherald.com/life/outdoors/race-ya__2010-05-30.html
Other Races: Downeast Adventure Race Hosted by the Washington County Community College, http://downeastadventurerace.org/
OPEN FILES BELOW
Registration Forms for Adventure & 33 Mile Race, Release & Waiver, Race Details Page, How to Use a Compass, 33 Mile Race Map.
NOTE: Adventure and 33 miler racers use the same registration form, Minors will need parent/guardian signatures on release & waiver forms in order to participate. Race director reserves the right to change the course without notice.
2014 East Grand Adventure Race Results Are In
|33 Mile Canoe Race|
|Ċ||33 Mile Baskahegan Stream Race Details.pdf
|42k||v. 5||Feb 21, 2014, 12:12 PM||Jill Plummer|
|33 Mile Flat Water Course.jpg
|1219k||v. 5||Feb 21, 2014, 12:23 PM||Jill Plummer|
|Ċ||33 Miler Registration Form.pdf
|11198k||v. 5||Feb 21, 2014, 1:01 PM||Jill Plummer|
|Ċ||33 Miler Release Form.pdf
|55k||v. 6||Feb 22, 2014, 7:16 AM||Jill Plummer|
|East Grand Adventure Race|
|Ċ||2014 East Grand Release Form.pdf
|59k||v. 5||Feb 21, 2014, 12:23 PM||Jill Plummer|
|Ċ||2014 Race Details.pdf
|96k||v. 5||Apr 30, 2014, 6:15 AM||Jill Plummer|
|Ċ||2014 Registration Form.pdf
|9382k||v. 6||Apr 4, 2014, 6:36 AM||Jill Plummer|
|How to Use a Compass|
|Race Results 2012|